Wow, it looks like I really did a number on these!

I found iconv for Windows and have integrated it into the conversion
process... NOw to tackled the Unicode handling (or non-handling) of
the SQLite ODBC driver..

This will sure teach me to go around changing things!

On 7/30/07, Nuno Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/30/07, Mitchell Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've read a few places that it is not possible to change the encoding
> > of a database once it's created. Is it possible to do it in some
> > automated way with any of the command line utilities?
>
> Read about the "pragma encoding" [1] SQL command (you just need to use
> it before inserting any data). Note that the "encoding" is always
> UNICODE, so you don't gain much with this pragma if you're from the
> "western" part of the world
>
> > I converted a database from SQLite 2.X to 3.X using sqlite.exe's .dump
> > function and apparently didn't set the encoding correctly as any
> > non-English text isn't accessible. I think I need to set the encoding
> > to UTF8 now, though it "just worked" before, so I'm not sure what I
> > accidentally did right the first time :-)
>
> I don't think that is your problem. You were probably using a 2.x
> database in "8-bit" mode, not UTF-8. Things can get ugly if you used
> the UTF-8 library version on non-UTF-8 strings.
>
> The only solution I can see is to use something like "iconv" to
> translate the dump to UTF-8 before inserting the data into a 3.x
> database. That can be more difficult than you think in case of
> mismatched use of library versions.
>
> Regards,
> ~Nuno Lucas
>

> > Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > - Mitchell Vincent

- Mitchell Vincent
- K Software - Innovative Software Solutions
- Visit our website and check out our great software!
- http://www.ksoftware.net