So you don't even try to argue about database-servers-like
applications? Apache maybe indeed not very good example because of
good degree of independence between threads, though I think in some
cases caching across different connections and thus across different
threads could be useful.

> The danger with threading is in concurrent access to data.

I understand that. That's why concurrent access should be made very
wisely. But if this concurrent access is to some cache which allows to
avoid huge amount of disk reads - it's worth the effort. And my
overall point here is that there's no universal taboo "threads are
evil in all cases". It totally depends on the type of application.

Pavel