James Gregurich wrote:
> So, you suggest I should build a commercial desktop application (for
> processing print-industry files and presenting them in a UI)  in such
> a way that it spawns multiple processes and communicates with them via
> the filesystem or IPC APIs?

You obviously know more about your application, APIs, libraries etc but
it does sound like it would actually be a very good approach.  And of
course you can also spawn processes on other machines too should the
need arise.  The description sounds not too different than what Google
Chrome does.

> Why would I want to go to that level of complexity in an
> uncontrollable environment (i.e. a consumer desktop computer) when I
> can just use NSOperation, boost::thread, and boost::mutex to build a
> single-process solution that shares data in a normal way between tasks?

Because while you are a perfect programming machine, not everyone else
who will touch the code in the future is.  As an example if one mutex
call is left out or the wrong acquired by programming accident, how long
would it take to know about it and fix it?

If you have to run in a 32 bit address space then that also limits how
much you can do in one process.  Do you even know how large the maximum
stack size is per thread and will other coders never exceed that?
[Don't answer here - its your application, architecture and team :]

Roger