a good thing would have been to generate one file with all the statements...
if you do that then you run sqlite with this file surrounded by transaction
begin/commit

echo "begin transaction" >> update.sql

sqlite3 -separator $'\t' sample.db 'select rowid, item from foo;' |
while read rowid item ; do
 status=$(long_running_process "${item}" )
 echo "update foo set status=${status} where rowid=${rowid} ;" >> update.sql
done

echo "commit transaction" >> update.sql

sqlite3 sample.db < update.sql

Best regards,