>> Do you mean you're making changes as you call SQLite to _step() through the
>> results of the SELECT ?  Or do you read all the results of the SELECT into
>> memory, then make changes to the database ?
>
> The former.

Oh, I completely forgot that people can do that. So, Robert, you case
is exactly the case I was talking about. As Simon said your SELECT
opens read-only transaction and then as you issue your first UPDATE
this transaction have to be converted to writing one. This is a call
for problems. So you better to issue "BEGIN IMMEDIATE" before you
execute your SELECT statement.

BTW, I hope you don't change the table you selected in this scenario?

Pavel