>I'm aware that SQLite offers the functionality of in-memory databases,
>but I
>don't know how to read the data and send it over the wire to the server or
>how to push the data into the in-memory database of the server.

The backup API included in SQLite offers the facility to backup/restore
(in fact = copy) disk-based or memory databases to/from disk or
memory.  So you can launch a backup operation all in one shunk to
create a memory DB, work on it and then backup it back to the
server.  I use this everyday and it works like a charm.