Hi all,
I am new to using SQLite but think that it may be good for a project that I'm
working on. I do my programming in Visual Basic and don't know any C\C++. Is
there any problem with connecting with SQLite from Visual Basic?

Basically my program will conduct repeatitive searches on a database based on
user input. In most cases the search will be on one variable (one column) at a
time. The database will be relatively small with less than 3000 records and
perhaps a couple hundred columns. For each query of the database I need to keep
the records that match and eliminate all other records. A followon search will
just search the records remaining from the previous search. Of course I could
have the user select several variables and then do a more thorough search,
but for my data that would not work in a lot of cases.

With enough queries (sometimes just a few and sometimes a lot) the number of
remaining records will approach 1. The one remaining record will contain the
information that the user will be looking for. There will not be any adding,
deleting, or modifying records. This will justy be a tool for finding
information based on variables related to the wanted data. The database is
plant characteristics data and the program will be used by plant ecologists to
determine the species of plant in hand. There are lots of books that help users
do this, but the books use dichotomous keys and the same thing could be done,
in some respects easier, in a program, especially if the program could
eventually be written for a smart phone. I've had good luck with a similar
program on PDAs.

My main question - Does this sound like SQLite would be appropriate? I've been
using Access as my database up to now. If SQLite sounds appropriate can anyone
recommend a good book on SQLite? Any help or suggestions welcome (even if the
answer is go away).

Bob Keeland
Forest Dynamics, Inc.