From: Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
Subject: Re: [sqlite] New to SQLite and I have a question
To: "General Discussion of SQLite Database" <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Date: Sunday, September 12, 2010, 10:08 AM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, Bob Keeland wrote:

> While I greatly appreciate the help I've gotten on SQLite in general, I
> still wonder about the last part of my questions below. Can anyone
> recommend a good book for learning to use SQLite? What about these that I
> found on Amazon.com

> The Definitive Guide to SQLite by Mike Owens

   Outstanding for understanding SQLite and how it works.

> Using SQLite by Jay A. Kreibich

   I've not read Jay's book so I cannot comment on the focus.

> The SQL Guide to SQLite by Rick F. van der Lans

   Rick's book (and I reviewed/proof-read several chapters) focuses on the
SQL language as used in SQLite. It is a great complement to Mike Owens'
book. (As noted above I have no knowledge of Jay's book.)

   You might also want to read Rick's 'Introduction to SQL, 4th Ed.' which is
more general (and a lot longer) than the SQLite-specific book. He covers
time-based queries in the book which is rarely seen in SQL texts yet
commonly used in business databases.

> I only know a little about SQL in general and even less about SQLite, and
> I could probably use help. I learned how to program in Visual Studio.NET
> 2003 from a book Sam's Teach Yourself Microsoft Visual Basic.NET 2003. I'm
> now using Visual Basic 2010 Express (and have ordered a book on it).

   You work in Microsoft's world so I have nothing to offer for help. But, I
will tell you (having dealt with clients who try to use Access) that that is
a flat-field data base while SQLite is relational. Depending on your
application you'll almost certainly need the latter.

Rich