People might think that nothing will change if we move to a forum; Yet there
is a great difference between a letter (though its email, not paper) and a
forum post; Letters are usually more formal, more tidy, without spam and
trolling;
   A forum post and a forum itself is completely different media, and people
have a different attitude to forum posts then they do to letters;
Letters resemble real-world communication more closely, in a way that they
provide a link between two people, not 'forum members', but real people;
   Its quite ingenious when you think about this: stationary phones are used
to connect buildings together (chain of command, etc), letters (and mobile
phones) are used to connect people, no matter where they are;
Internet and forums connect people, no matter who they are, even strangers
can talk, given that the subject is interesting to both parties;
   Mailing lists are the last defense of the web, where one can converse to
people he formally knows, about things they are formally involved in;

As for keeping email accounts clean and compact - i suggest one can write a
nice script to delete unneeded things;