> Please!  Just because you can select something doesn't mean you have to be
> able to sort by it.

There are a small number of exceptions,  each of which is a bodge.

But some bodges are worth the impact.

>  Can you sort by *

* is a very useful and largely harmless bodge.

There is fundamentally no reason why you shouldn't be able to to sort by *.
But people usually care about the order of field in a sort.

> (select * by table sort by *)?

I'm sure there will be a SQL engine somewhere that will do it for you.

It would require no additional documentation or code.  In fact it might require
extra, to prevent it.  It's pointless,  but benign.

> So, why make it sound like I don't know what I'm talking about?

I think you beat me to it.