On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 14:22:53 +0300
"Tony Papadimitriou" <to...@acm.org> wrote:

> Just because you can select something doesn't mean you have to be
> able to sort by it.

Yes, it does.

> Can you sort by * (select * by table sort by *)?

You have confused syntax with semantics.

"select *" is shorthand for "all columns". You'll note that what's
returned isn't some kind of special '*' column, but all columns.  The
order in which the columns are returned isn't meaningful because the
colums have labels -- names -- to tell you which is which.  Rearranging
the column order doesn't change the answer.

"sort by *" would imply that the order of the columns returned by '*' is
meaningful, which it is not.  "sort by the arbitrary order produced by
'select *'" isn't even deterministic.

> So, why make it sound like I don't know what I'm talking about?

Ahem.

--jkl