> With this new test case, I see that the -shm and -wal files are
> retained upon exit in read-only mode.

Great. Good to see other people are able to reproduce (some? of) the issue.

> But I also see that behavior dates back to 3.7.6 and maybe earlier. It
> isn't something new.
> (Testing on Ubuntu).

How odd...[!] I've tested several 3.7.* and 3.8.* versions before posting
and can only see things go wrong for 3.8.11 and after (on my Windows 10
machine).

Also, are you sure you testing things right? I thought URI support was
only added in 3.7.7... If that's true, your little script should actually
throw an error for 3.7.6!

Ashwin.