On 2015-05-21 01:52 AM, Peter Aronson wrote:
> Now you're just getting silly.  What if the application sets all rowids,
> everywhere to 1?  The fact is, the chance of collision on a UUID is pretty
> astronomically low as long as a decent source of entropy is used (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org....

I think Keith's point (which I very much agree with) is that
astronomically big is still not guaranteed - and ANY solution that
relies on something not guaranteed is a bad solution. I'd much rather
even ensure that similar ID's are used client-side, then KNOW that that
is the case and implement a solution that understands this and deals
with it (such as simply prepending a device-specific ID or some such) to
ensure 100% secure uniqueness server-side - no need to rely on
astronomically big randomnessessess.