>> It's only a certain kind of Windows user who wants DLLs for everything. If
>> that's what you need you are going to have to make sure you get the right
>> DLL.  But the fact that most SQLite programmers don't use a DLL is why you're
>> having trouble getting simple clear answers on this thread -- your problem is
>> more about DLLs than it is about SQLite.
>
> Actually, it's everyone using a language other than C/C++, plus a proportion
> of those too. I use C#, but if you want to call Sqlite from Java, Python,
> etc or even some generic C/C++ app that supports plug-ins, then at some
> point there is a DLL

There must be a Windows element in there, though.  On the Mac I can create a
create a project in Xcode which has C, C++, Objective-C, Java and Python code
in (probably other languages too) and they can all call functions in
one-another and the project compiles into one application without any
libraries.  You do have to know some function-name conventions (e.g.
Objective-C functions really start with an invisible '@' and C++ functions end
with an invisible '_') but once you've figured that out it works.