I build my queries usually via binding within the function I'm calling,
which I don't think changes the schema version, since I'm only seeing a
bump of +1 at application close during either a vacuum or the backup API
call.

That said, since I know that the backup API will make the schema version
change, is it safe to read the schema_version at the beginning of the
application, retain it for the life time of the application, then after the
backup is written, rewrite the schema version to the backup?

In my case, and for the application I'm tuning for this initial venture
into SQL revision control, I'm using the term "backup" incorrectly.  I use
the "backup" API to load the database into memory, and then at application
termination, I use the "backup" API to overwrite the database I just loaded
from disk.  I don't think I maintain a file handle to the file, but I'd
have to check.