It's strange that the older version reads the problem files. Do you know
if they are always the same files that exhibit this? It's been years
since I used version 7.7 so I can't be much help with the changes that
have been made. Did you look at the server log before downgrading to
7.72 for clues? It will no doubt end up being a simple answer, but those
can also be hard to diagnose.
You could also try loading the Squeeze Community version of 7.9 or the
latest nightly to see if it's similar to the version Andrew includes
with VB. Ron Olson has instructions on how to do this in the VB Wiki.