Yes, that was it.  I turned off password protection and System
Preferences>LMS>Information displayed without any dialog box log in .
I turned it back on and the dialog box popped up immediately.  My
username/password still didn't work here, although it works for all
other LMS logins.

Ok, seems to indeed be broken. That's not good. Because I don't really want to get into working on this again: the prefpane was built on OSX 10.5 (xcode 3?), and building it with a newer version would require moving to 64bits only, change code to not use garbage collection etc...

--

Michael