I am now using a VPN server to access my Squeezebox environment
remotely.

I have a question regarding the user name and password in situations
where the ports are left open (and a VPN connection is _not_ used
remotely).

For the incidents related in this thread, where the ports were left
open, was the unauthorized entry made through brute force attacks by
guessing/calculating both the user name and password?  Would hacking it
require a rainbow table, or is it much easier than that?
Or was the username and password captured by some other means?  When
connecting remotely (when the ports are open), can the username and
password be grabbed by a hacker - is this information not encrypted at
this point?

Even though I am now using VPN, both my username and password and
password are at least 12 mixed characters and my LMS username is
completely unique, it is not anything I use for websites, network
access, etc.