mcduman wrote:
> I have a ps audio directstream dac and it reports the sample rate & bit
> depth on its screen. i will bring this issue up in their forums. thanks
> for your assistance.

here is the response from the designer of the dac (DS)

QUOTE

-"The DS is reporting the number of bits that are changing. i.e. if it
reads 16 bits then the bottom 8 bits are always zero on each input
sample.  In general displays of sample rate and bit rate on players
either describe the size of the samples in the input files or the size
of the samples at the last stage of processing, but they aren’t looking
at the actual data in the samples like the DS is.
Either the upsampler isn’t really calculating a full 24 bits per sample
or there’s some configuration parameter that causing only 16 bits to be
sent to the DAC."-

UNQUOTE

So, what SoX is doing is adding 8 zeros to the end which effectively is
again 16 bits.