You probably want to disable the "Full text search" plugin. Like you, I
find it produces search results that aren't at all useful. To do that,
go to "Settings" (in the web interface), the "Plugins" tab, uncheck
"Full text search" and then restart LMS. I disable almost all the
plugins on that page. Most people use only a handful of them.

Another thing I find useful is to change the search setting labeled
"Search Within Words" on the "My Music" tab in the settings to "Search
Within Words". Then it will find things -containing- rather than only
starting with the text that you enter.