pavowren wrote:
> apparently, with Raspian 9, /etc/dhcpcd.conf is used rather than
> /etc/network/interfaces
> as stated before, specifying "any" gateway for eth0 renders wifi to not
> function at all.
> when the pi connects to the hotspot, wlan0 gets its gateway assigned to
> the hotspot and all's ok.
>
> as for 192.168.1.23, it is used by any other device on the lan; e.g.,
> windows desktop and laptop with ethernet cables so that
> i can ssh into the pie.   and of course, i can use the browser to view
> LMS.

Even if you could define a gateway statically on the ethernet network,
where should it point? You don't have any other routers you wrote and I
got the impression that your only internet access is via the mobile
hotspot (the mobile phone)? I assume that your PC and laptop have the
same general solution as the PI3B+, ie wireless to your mobile (for
internet access) and ethernet cable to your powerline backbone for
access to your LMS/Jivelite device (the PI3B+). I assume you have
manually set IP-addresses on the ethernet side on the PC and laptop
also.

It makes some sense that you can access the LMS on the PI3B+ from your
PC/laptop via 192.168.1.23 (ie via the powerline backbone) since I
believe LMS listens on all interfaces. But why it should stop working
when you remove the wireless connection is beyond me. And why the local
playback from a locally attached USB-drive should stop when the wireless
to the phone is disconnected is also incomprehensible to me. Perhaps ssh
in to your LMS and monitor the LMS server log (eg 'sudo tail -f
/var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log') and then stop hotspot and see
what the LMS has to say about that.

Perhaps you should ask on a Raspian 9 forum. It is too difficult to
"debug" this without Raspian experience. Sorry, I can't help.

2 Touch, 1 Picoreplayer 4.0.0 on RaspBerry 3B with 7" display
LMS latest nightly on Ubuntu 18.04.1 on Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz,
2GB
All wired