Thanks, everyone!

Tony T: I'll have to order a Raspberry PI then. :)

Is there a lot of speed difference between the B+ and the A+?

It is not an economical question, more about the B+ being easily
available here in Norway, the A+ not yet for some reason.

If the B+ will do the job, would a bundle like this be a good solution?
It consists of:

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
Raspberry Pi Official Enclosure
Kingston MicroSDHC 32GB
USB power supply – 5.1V / 2.5A

The price of this bundle is about the double of buying just the B+
alone.

mherger: The Raspberry will be connected to Ethernet. I have a 3000
hours, 50.000 files library. On the laptop, it is run from a USB 3 HD.
I am not worried about scanning speeds. Scanning can be done at night,
so I doubt USB 2 speeds will bother me much.

I had a second subject to my original post - a network drive.
Is that something that can also be controlled with the Raspberry or is
it a subject I must find a solution to independent of the LMS server
question?

Stein