You might be able to use Roon. I've never tried Roon, but I believe it
can use Squeezeboxes as endpoints - I dare say someone with experience
will comment.

But a cheaper option would be to set up a Raspberry Pi using
piCorePlayer to run LMS. My main LMS server is a Raspberry Pi version 3
set up in this way and with music files on a NAS. These run 24:7. You
don't say what sort of external drive you are using, but Raspberry PIs
don't seem to deliver enough power via USB for some USB powered hard
drives, but there are no doubt workarounds.

Robert

*Home: *Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2  with files on QNAP
TS-251A
Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega
Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare
Pi2/piCorePlayer
*Office:* LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > Raspberry Pi 3
with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob