Grumpy Bob wrote:
>  You don't say what sort of external drive you are using, but Raspberry
> PIs don't seem to deliver enough power via USB for some USB powered hard
> drives, but there are no doubt workarounds.
>
> Robert
+1 for the PI. I am running PiCore on a Pi 3B+ as a server in two
locations, and built a 3rd for a friend. All have a HDD (WD 2TB Elements
Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0020BBK) connected to the
Pi and it works fine. ~$100USD for a server with 2TB of file space is a
great bargain. I also use samba to use the Pi HDD as a backup to my PC
files (pictures, important files, etc), so the ~$100 also includes a
file backup system.

Regarding the OP comment on mp3 files, if I read it correctly, the mp3's
play poorly on both the transporter and the PC, the FLAC's play fine? I
would suspect the MP3 files themselves, how are they created?

Jim