I posted this already to 'askubuntu.com'
(https://askubuntu.com/questions/1188506/how-to-install-logitech-media-server-squeezebox-server)
and the 'ubuntu forum'
(https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2443133) but maybe it is of
interest here too. I could not register to his forum when I succeeded
solving my problem to post this guide here in the first place.

I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 and that broke my installation but I figured
out how to make it work again:

After some tempering around, I considered to do a fresh install. So I
deleted the old stuff in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/

Then I got me a fresh deb-packet from:
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=8.0

Personally I used the version for the most plattforms but depending on
plattform just select a fitting deb:

Code:
--------------------
    wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...180193_all.deb
--------------------

I Installed it with:

Code:
--------------------
    dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_8.0.0_1588799628_all.deb
--------------------

As I tried older versions too and even tried a git checkout I hope I
lack no detail another script has already done for me without noticing
it.

If the dpkg installation not already added a user and group please do
so:

Code:
--------------------
    adduser squeezeboxserver
  usermod -a -G squeezeboxserver squeezeboxserver
--------------------

Create a directory for the pid file:

Code:
--------------------
    mkdir /var/run/logitechmediaserver
--------------------

And give it to that user and group:

Code:
--------------------
    chown squeezeboxserver:squeezeboxserver /var/run/logitechmediaserver
--------------------

Same goes for the stuff in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/

Code:
--------------------
    chown squeezeboxserver:squeezeboxserver /var/lib/squeezeboxserver
  chown -R squeezeboxserver:squeezeboxserver /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/*
--------------------

The problem comes with the startup script in /etc/init.d. It simply does
not work, as Ubuntu 20.04 does not have the start-stop-daemon any more.
It is simply linked to /bin/true which might work for some scripts but
does not work for the logitechmediaserver. I tried a C implementation
for this program, but it had it hinges so I dropped the
start-stop-daemon and modified the startup program arcordingly.

Just store the old startup script away (just to be save) and paste the
attachment into an editor of your choice on your server or simply copy
it to your filesystem and remove that .txt postfix. Without it, I could
not upload it.

That script is not pretty, but it does the job for me and will hopefully
help you too. You have to place it in /etc/init.d under the name
logitechmediaserver

After that you have to run the following command to make systemctl
happy:

Code:
--------------------
    systemctl daemon-reload
--------------------

Just give it a test run with starting it:

Code:
--------------------
    /etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver start
--------------------

You should be able to log in with your webbrowser to
http://YourServerIP:9000/ and configure it.

30266

And test if it does shut down again:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver stop

When everything has worked out, enable the service:

Code:
    systemctl enable logitechmediaserver.service

|Filename: logitechmediaserver.txt                                  |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30266|