mherger wrote:
> > As I understand it LMS 7.9.4 is now just getting maintenance fixes.
>
> Nope, there will be no more updates to 7.9.4.
>
> > My question is whether, in the long term, LMS 8 will be the only
> version
> > being maintained.
>
> It already is.
>
> > The reason I'm asking is because some plugins have not been, and may
> > never be, fully tested under version 8, and I'm wondering whether to
> > take the plunge soon and try to fix or bypass any issues that come
> up,
> > or not.  I don't think I 'need' any of the new LMS 8 features, as
> yet.
>
> Erland has discussed this quite extensively. But TBH: I believe that if
>
> a plugin has not been fully tested with LMS 8, as you put it, it hasn't
>
> been tested with 7.9 either. It's just been a smaller version change,
> and the install manifest had "7.*" as the maxVersion, because nothing
> bigger was thought of those years ago. These plugins are left to the
> community (or in the void).
>
> Give it a try. Most likely all you'll need to do is download and extract
>
> the plugin file yourself. And who knows? Somebody might take over
> ownership or maintenance of that plugin and will update the maxVersion
> string in the manifest.
>
> --
>
> Michael
Ok - Thanks.

I was assuming your comment in the 7.9.3 thread in September ("I've
created a 7.9.4 branch, which might see the random bug fix and nightly
builds. Don't expect much activity there.") still applied.

I guess the more of us make the move, the more quickly any wrinkles may
get found and ironed out.

Message received! :)

LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps.  2
Touchs & EDO.
LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz
CR603 UPnP renderers.
Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.