mherger wrote:

> --- snip ---
> > The reason I'm asking is because some plugins have not been, and may
> > never be, fully tested under version 8, and I'm wondering whether to
> > take the plunge soon and try to fix or bypass any issues that come
> up,
> > or not.  I don't think I 'need' any of the new LMS 8 features, as
> yet.[/color]
>
> Erland has discussed this quite extensively. But TBH: I believe that if
>
> a plugin has not been fully tested with LMS 8, as you put it, it hasn't
>
> been tested with 7.9 either. It's just been a smaller version change,
> and the install manifest had "7.*" as the maxVersion, because nothing
> bigger was thought of those years ago. These plugins are left to the
> community (or in the void).
>
> Give it a try. Most likely all you'll need to do is download and extract
>
> the plugin file yourself. And who knows? Somebody might take over
> ownership or maintenance of that plugin and will update the maxVersion
> string in the manifest.
>
> --
>
> Michael

I think the decision to focus support and development efforts to version
8.x only is a sound one. But with regard to the issue of older plugins
not maintained and the "max version" parameter in these, can we not
simply delegate the decision to install these old plugins by means of a
new preference setting that controls whether the "max version" parameter
is honored or not? It is already possible to force an installation
manually (after editing some file in the module). If the default
preference is "honor the module setting" it would require a conscious (I
hope) decision by the user to override it.

2 Touch, 2 Picoreplayer  v6.1.0 on RaspBerry 3B
LMS 8.0.1 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 on Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2GB. All
wired
Main audio system: Magnepan 3.6, amp "Gdis 400", DAC & pre: NAD M51,
streamers: SB Touch // NAD M50