sitro0 - thanks for the reply. I've found on the slimforum a thread where
the poster creates an LMS completely stored and run from a USB stick
plugged into one of the NAS usb ports. To my mind that seems much more
desirable, and maintainable, than futzing with the NAS internals.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-102588.html

It's an old thread, but perhaps still useful. I may try it. Right now the
old LMS on my NAS326 works. But it takes 15 hours to scan my 60k library,
so I'm in no hurry to do that again! I have a working piCorePlayer system
and thus no urgency. When I've time and feel like getting my hands dirty
I'll tackle it.

Regards.

--

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of
human existence.”

― Aristotle