On some routers (I have several Linksys) when you turn on DHCP you can
also click a radio button that allows you to reserve an IP for specific
hosts or MAC addresses.  Since I use static IPing for everything but
Squeeze stuff, I opened up DHCP starting with 100 (192.168.1.100) and
allowed 3 assignable addresses so from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.103. 
Then I went in to (and here I can't remeber the label on the button, but
it's right next to the button to turn on DHCP) reserve IP and listed the
MAC address of each device and the IP address I wanted associated with
it out of the available range.  This way it's almost like you are using
static IP's and it just makes everything easier.

I did find when I didn't do this that my two receivers would somehow
compete for the same address.  This created an hour of havoc trying to
make the two recievers work at the same time.  They shouldn't do that
and I have no idea why they did, but the second receiver would steal
the first receivers address.  Drove me nuts for alittle while.

Howard


-- 
Howard Passman

Sorry slow to respond.  I don't spend that much time online.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Howard Passman's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=16674
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48366

_______________________________________________
squeezenetwork mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/squeezenetwork

Reply via email to