JCMACK, I feel your pain. As snarly said, too many home routers are just
not up to the job. They are fine for connecting your laptop to the
DSL/Cable connection, but they are not smart enough to do a good job.

I solved all this by making the linux box that is my music server also
handle DNS and DHCP. Its not that hard to setup, but its not trivial.
Then I turn off the bad implementations in all the other
half-implemented routers, modems and access points so that they just
move bits.

Each computer in my house has a preassigned IP address setup in the
DHCP tables. The devices think they are using normal DHCP, but the
Receiver always gets the same IP address, as does the Controller and my
Transporter and my SqueezeBoxes. As do my laptop, my wife's laptop,
etc.

There are a number of things these lame routers/modems/etc do that
drive me nuts, starting with always assuming that they can be
192.168.1.1, and control all they see. Not noticing that you can only
have one 192.168.1.1 in your house. I setup everything to not use the
192.168 world, just so I can easily see when a lame router is doing it
wrong.

If you have a buddy who is a networking geek, bribe him/her with pizza
and beer.


-- 
pfarrell

Pat                             
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------
pfarrell's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=200
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48366

_______________________________________________
squeezenetwork mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/squeezenetwork

Reply via email to