Thank you, Sam, for the clarification. It's all much clearer now.

I realize that this next question may be off-topic for this list, so sorry
in advance.

Basically, I decided to install vpopmail (4.9.10) to solve my problem. It
went quite smoothly; it installed fine, I was able to add domain2.com, and
add a user to that domain, all without problems. I sent [EMAIL PROTECTED] a
test message, and it cropped up in the ~vpopmail/domain/user/Maildir/new
folder like I expected.

I'm having some difficulty logging into that mail account, though. I was
under the impression that I should be able to go to mail.domain.com (where
Sqwebmail lives), enter [EMAIL PROTECTED] as my login, and then use the
password I specified when I ran ~vpopmail/bin/vadduser. However, this did
not work; I even tried resetting the password, just to make sure I hadn't
mistyped somehow, and I still cannot log in.

Why might this be? Note that, when I configured vpopmail, I used the
 --enable-sqwebmail-pass=yes option, figuring that it would be what I wanted.

Thanks,
Alex Kirk