>Dear Susan,

Thank you so much, now you have brought back to my failing memory so 
much of our discussions and most of your areas interest which are 
many. I should have remembered the loco was a 3-1/2" gauge as that is 
the gauge of what my Britannia and GNR Atlanti whoopes some guests 
have arrived , I'll finish the response later. Anyway you are an 
inspiration!!

Geoff

>Dear Geoff,
>
>>  You were going to build, or were building something,  remember? I had
>>  a lot of the information i retained    but my hard drive crashed and
>>  I lost it all! Was it not 1" or 1-1/2" scale  American loco, a
>>  pacific or hudson?
>
>I am working (still) on a 4-6-0 in 3.5" gauge - 3/4" scale, plus one or
>two other little projects - like this one.
>
>>  You were concerned as to how you were going to get
>>  it down from your attic workshop when it was finished.
>
>I have fitted a small electric winch so that should be a little easier.
>
>>  Your ongoing progress reports were very interesting with a lot
>>  of humour! The research you had done was inspirational, (just as
>>  the work you have done on the Cricket) - it made me decide that
>>  such a venture for me was in some fantasy land that I could
>>  never attain!!
>
>I am sorry that my enthusiasm for my project has dissuaded you from yours.
>
>I am good at research and have a distressing habit of wanting to go back
>to original source material whenever possible. This is in part prompted
>by my awareness of my lack of knowledge and lack of experience as I have
>only been involved in model engineering type activities for a few years.
>
>Self confidence, or rather lack thereof, is a keen motivator "to get it
>right" which is at times a hindrance as I can get too obsessed with the
>minutiae of detail rather than just being happy with a quicker, easier
>and broader brush. I don't rivet count other peoples work, but I do want
>to have the right number in my own in case that others might.
>
>The proof of pudding is however in the making and unfortunately whilst I
>produce a loaf of bread twice a week my locomotive production is
>somewhat less than that. Small matters like work, homemaking and what
>not have conspired to hamper my efforts. I have also spent a lot of the
>little time that I have had free in the last couple of years working on
>my audio amplifiers (a project that has some commercial potential,
>although whether I will be able to realize that is another matter).
>
>Meanwhile I have realized that I need to develop my basic metalworking
>skills as the quality I want for the 4-6-0 is not yet within my reach.
>Either that or accept that the first version is to be a look and feel
>rather than exact model, in effect a prototype for the super accurate
>version. Again it is all to easy to get buried in the detail and not
>make anything.
>
>Also an important part of all this is the social aspect and having a
>simpler locomotive that I can build (in perhaps not quite such exacting
>detail) in a short(er) time and run on club or home tracks is why I am
>distracted from the "main" project.
>
>The Byers gives me a "simple" locomotive in a large enough scale that I
>can realistically expect to be able to build it to an adequate standard
>(in my eyes) and be interesting but without excessive quantity of small
>scale detail. As a project locomotive I also feel that I can substitute
>near scale alternatives like the PM Research bottle engines and also
>things like sight gauges and steam fittings which are close enough to
>what was fitted.
>
>Having the photograph has of course upped the ante a bit as there is
>much that I can now see as fact rather than just interpolate from
>contemporary practice or description. This is dangerous as it threatens
>to shift the project's focus away from being a simple locomotive, which
>is after all the idea on which the project is founded.
>
>Making a small scale model of the model is again a side step, but
>hopefully one that will allow me to sort out many of the mechanical
>issues that I still face with the big sister. CAD drawings are easy to
>knock up with a bit of practice, but turning even 3D rendered glossy
>images into actual fact comes somewhat harder.
>
>>  I will be seeing Michael O'Rourke shortly, I'll show him your CAD
>>  and ask him to modify my Cricket accordingly - that is unlikely as he
>>  has retired, so I shall send it to you for the mods!!!
>
>Happy to look at it, but I would have to advise you that I am
>distressingly slow at progressing these projects.
>
>>  With full confidence in you and your ability.
>>
>>  Geoff.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Best wishes,
>Susan.
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>SSLiveSteam mailing list
>Send messages: [email protected]
>Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
>Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html

_______________________________________________
SSLiveSteam mailing list
Send messages: [email protected]
Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam
Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html

Reply via email to