Dear All, I am please that this has been of interest. Thank you for your emails.
I look forward to progress (particularly my own - which by past measure will be years not weeks). > Interesting; I had not realised that it had what is effectively a > transmission brake. Also I note two tie bars across the front beam. Do > you know if these are reinforcement or a major structural component? Hi Sam, I am not sure. The mechanical drawings differers in detail here. If anyone has any ideas, perhaps from something similar on another locomotive, would love to hear. I am now suffering indecision as to which version to make. Having a picture heavily biases me into going with what I can see, but countered by the more pragmatic side which likes the surety of the engineering drawings. Of course what was drawn and what was made are not necessarily the same thing. --------------- > thanks so much for sharing this. i find it remarkable that you would > spend $US150 on a journal, sight unseen. Hi Dave, Although quite a lot, compared to what I will spend if I do build my bigger locomotive it is relatively small. For example the multi-fuel burner which it will use, for when I don't want to be bothered with doing the whole coal thing, is the same sort of money. And I have the unfortunate desire of going back whenever possible to the original source material. Hence my wish to be able to make high resolution scans of the drawings as a starting point for my CAD efforts. I must also admit to having original copies of the 1906, 1909, 1916, 1919, and 1938 Locomotive Dictionaries/Cyclopedias, and the 1925 as a reprint. Except for the 1919 (which has a cloth binding for libraries) they are not in very good condition from a collectors point of view with the leather/leatherette binding very perished etc. but I am interested in the internal technical content. The amount of detail in the line drawings is phenomenal, and is sadly not maintained in the reprint. > but i'm sure glad you did. Likewise. I would not have found the builders photograph. That was a wonderful bonus. To my eye, with the way the decorative detail is shaped, the water tanks seem to have rounded ends. I haven't quite figured out the exact shape. Again any ideas on this would be welcome. Best wishes, Susan. _______________________________________________ SSLiveSteam mailing list Send messages: [email protected] Cancel subscription: http://postfix.45mm.com/mailman/listinfo/sslivesteam Rules: http://www.45mm.com/sslivesteam_guide.html
