On Thu Feb 14 20:08:53 2008, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Here's a list of things we might talk about:

1. Recommendations regarding when to use the TCP binding and when to use
the HTTP binding (BOSH).

2. Compression via TLS or XEP-0138 (use it!). Also binary XML as a
compression mechanism.

I've never been all that convinced about binary XML forms. They work to a degree with the highly fixed XML in, for example, SyncML, and they're pretty good at compressing individual stanza-like objects over SMS for things like OMA EMN (Email Message Notification, or something - I've long since forgotten what these acronyms stand for), but for long-running streams I'm under the impression that studies show it'll be outperformed.

So if you're a big fan of Binary XML formats, please bring along your figures. :-)

3. Fast reconnect to avoid TLS+SASL+resource-binding packets.

Lots of work from mobile email (ie, Lemonade) is transferrable here. It'd be really nice if Tony Finch was coming, since he could talk us through QTLS and QUICKSTART - they're SMTP fast startup work he did a while back. Very interesting, but didn't make it into the Lemonade Profile itself.

4. ETags for roster-get (see XEP-0150, let's resurrect that).

(Om. Looks quite ugly, IMHO. I'll do a counter-proposal)

5. Advisability of presence-only connections (no roster-get, just send
presence and whatever you receive is nice).

If you can optimize the roster fetch sufficiently, this really isn't required.

Anything else?

Beer, obviously.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] - xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - http://dave.cridland.net/