On Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2018 14:34:12 CET W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Gultsch <dan...@gultsch.de>:
> > polling is a terrible idea traffic wise and very nontransparent for the
> > user.
> >
> > I don't have an opinion on pubsub.
>
> I had another idea before coming up with the configuration variable,
> but I find it very ugly, but maybe others might find some beauty
> (or pragmatism) in it:
>
> A PubSub node could have a "magic" node

We need to get this terminology straight. When you say "PubSub node", do you
in fact mean a pubsub node (i.e. a specific @node value on a specific pubsub
service with JID X) or a PubSub service with JID X?

I think specifying avatars for each PubSub *node* could be tricky. For
services (which I assume you meant) see below.

> , i.e. with the magic id
> "pubsub_logo". This node contains the logo, it can be upgraded and
> notification to users would be immediate. But a "magic id"? Like
> "favicon.ico"?

The "magic id" (again, only for PubSub services, not for individual nodes) is
obvious, I’d simply use the same the XEP-0084 uses. That could even work
magically with client code.

kind regards,
Jonas