On 3/7/18 9:48 AM, Christian Schudt wrote:
>> Are people still using this technology? In my experience, it was a fun
>> experiment in ~2006 but didn't work well in practice: too chatty over
>> the network, presence never worked correctly, you'd send a message to
>> someone and it turns out they weren't available, etc.
>
> I was considering implementing it also as a fun experiment.
>
> Too chatty? It looks less chatty than normal XMPP (no presence, less stream
> negotiation), where's the issue?
> And maybe the presence issue was only an implementation error?

The chatty part is figuring out if people are actually available on the
local network.

> If it was a fun experiment, why is XEP-0174 in status Final instead of
> Experimental then?

Well, it worked OK at small conferences when universal connectivity
wasn't so common in the pre-smartphone days (folks had a lot of fun
using it in Adium and iChat back then), but I haven't seen it used since
2010 or so.

It went to Draft and Final quickly (perhaps we were more efficient about
moving things forward back then), but it doesn't seem relevant anymore.

Peter