> I really dislike that part of the XEP, because you can not rely on
> anything here. My client will allow modifying messages older than the
> last one (there is really no *technical* need for this restriction), and
> you can't prevent abuse of this feature anyway.

The only technical reason for doing only last message correction is a
possible absence of unique id in sent message. Not having unique id is
wrong so if someone wants to permit changes or retraction of own
messages, it's a matter of the choice whether to do it or not.
Proprietary services like Telegram, for example, set arbitrary
business rules that only messages in the last 48 hours can be
retracted/edited. I think such business rules are hard to enforce in
federated service, and that poses a question if such functionality
should be permitted at all. Maybe It's better not to try doing things
you can't do well.

--
Ненахов Андрей
Директор ООО "Редсолюшн" (Челябинск)