> What we need basically is a way to negotiate the interval with server

I'm not sure if this is _needed_? Without this being a requirement, much of
the complexity of "making this more standard" falls away.

A server could, before determining that a connection is lost, attempt to
send any IQ stanza (PING is an obvious choice, but any query will do). As
the client is obliged to respond, if anything with an error, the server
knows if the connection is, in fact, lost.