I'd have to check, but I think we're sending a IQ Ping when the client
misses it's first white space ping interval (whatever we deem is
appropriate in that server config), and define the client to be
disconnected when it doesn't respond in a timely manner. This covers both
of your "the client is being silly" scenario's: to many whitespace pings
aren't adding much overhead to the server, while to few pings are covered
by the IQ Ping. I agree with you that it's all very unspecified, which
could be improved on. I'm not seeing much of a direct  _need_ to do that,
but I'd not oppose it either.