Yeah, I remember our then-CEO telling us that his phone "would not get warm
anymore", after we changed the interval from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. That
was over a decade ago though. I think that you're right in that patterns
change with evolving mobile phone components.

Unless I'm mistaking, Push Notifications are one-way. As far as I know,
they can't be used to tell if a client has dropped offline (and do all
kinds of follow-up / cleanup actions, server sided).