28 Dec 2019 1:52:37 pm Mathieu Pasquet :

> Here below is a bump disguised as feedback on the protoxep.
>
> It provides a way to indicate and synchronize (on a best effort basis,
> you can’t really shield yourself against a rogue remote client or server)
> the preffered expiration for the messages in this conversation, and send
> it with each message.
>
> Since it is on a best effort basis, I disagree with the stated goal of
> preventing the clients that do not implement this feature from seeing
> the messages (section 2). This breaks compatiblity with most of the
> ecosystem while not really making sure they do not store the message.
>
> Thus I would suggest keeping the message contents in the message body,
> and having the separate element nearby, indicating to
> supporting clients that they should delete the message after a number
> of seconds, while obviously keeping the warning about non-supporting
> clients noted in section 4.

I think that a XEP as described by you would be valuable. I disagree that this
is still within the intent of the original XEP (which goes out of its way to
pull things beyond best effort).

If the authors of the original proposal do not react, I thus suggest that you
submit your design as separate document.

kind regards,
Jonas