On 23.05.2020 11:38, Matthew Wild wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2020, 10:51 Maxime Buquet, <p...@bouah.net> wrote:

   All those who expressed feelings against adding this to 157 at the time
   you sent this didn't mention why.

   I personally don't see much issue with it, so I just PR'd against it to
   add that registry entry.

Just want to add a couple of things that have come up in discussions since
starting this thread:

1) Someone (sorry, don't remember who) had the idea of including this in DNS.

Advantages:

- the client doesn't need to  discover and cache the value after login, it can
discover it on-demand whenever it has connection issues

- the admin is able to add/update the value while the service is down

Disadvantages:

- Not all clients may be in a position to query TXT records (web clients, may
require additional dependency in native clients)

- Not necessarily secure without DNSSEC

- Additional work for people who want to delegate a domain for XMPP hosting by
a third party

Putting this part into perspective, while I like the DNS solution,
that’s yet another "out of band " bit to setup, and I don’t see
a huge benefit compared to caching regularly that bit of info
from the disco. (at jabberfr we have one ouf our "big" XMPP domains
managed by someone else, and it can take weeks to update DNS records…
It’s not very practical.)

The only functional downside of re-using 0157 for that purpose would be
if the server is down before the very first connection of the client,
then it has no way of knowing, but is it a case we want to optimize?

Mathieu