On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 at 21:18, Jonas Schäfer <jo...@wielicki.name> wrote:

> On Dienstag, 9. März 2021 21:54:37 CET Florian Schmaus wrote:
> > On 3/9/21 9:11 PM, Jonas Schäfer (XSF Editor) wrote:
> > > The XMPP Extensions Editor has received a proposal for a new XEP.
> > >
> > > Title: Content Rating Labels
> > > Abstract:
> > > This specification provides a wire format in the form of a Service
> > > Discovery extension to allow services of various kinds to publish
> > > information about the kind of content they allow and/or endorse on
> > > their platform.

> > Thanks for the ProtoXEP submission.
> >
> > FWIW I find it strange that we put a ProtoXEP up for a vote that has not
> > filled all required sections. I know we have been lax about this
> > regarding the "XML Schema" section of experimental XEPs, and I think
> > this is perfectly fine and understandable. But I like to see every
> > ProtoXEP have a filled-out "Security Considerations" section, as this
> > demonstrates that the authors have, at least briefly, thought about
> > security. XEP-0001 § 12 has some good advice on that section.
>
> I agree with you on all points, in general.

I disagree with you on all points, in general. :-)

Yes, having these filled in is great, but the purpose of Experimental is to
work on the spec as much as the protocol itself, and I'm generally happy to
worry about mandatory sections later as long as I can understand the
general design and intent.

> I did specifically not fill in some sections (such as Security
> Considerations)
> because I wasn’t sure about them yet. I thought it would be worthwhile to
> develop this section under the XSF IPR because frankly I’m sure I cannot
> cover
> it completely.

And this is the thing - getting work under the IPR policy is at the very
least as important as getting security considerations etc filled in, and
these have a tension between them.

Dave.