On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 at 09:23, Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022, 15:05 Florian Schmaus, <f...@geekplace.eu> wrote:
>

>>  Zash's proposal is, as far as I understand it, just an optimization
>> allowing a sending entity to determine if a stanza will hit the limit or
>> not, without trying to actually send it.
>

> It is and it isn't. Right now, if a stanza is over the limit then most
> implementations will close the connection with a stream error. Not closing
> the connection is non-trivial for implementations if they want to avoid DoS
> and use a standard parser.

I think this is a good summary of why the <max-bytes/> is needed - it
allows a sending implementation to alter its behaviour for the better.

I don't think there's the same justification for <idle-seconds/>, though,
is there? What would a sending implementation do? Defeat the idle check? To
what end? I *thought* we recommended a proper liveness check, so in
principle the idle timeout is a mere implementation detail, and shouldn't
alter behaviour on the other side.

Also, is it worth including a full stream features inside (or after?) bidi?
(I've lost track of how well bidi is implemented, and therefore whether
it's worth doing a version-bump, but this is the first case I'm aware of
where bidi would include a child element, so maybe a version bump here is
easiest?)