On Sat, 31 Dec 2022 at 13:15, Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu> wrote:

> On 31.12.22 13:19, Dave Cridland wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, 30 Dec 2022 at 19:40, Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu
> > <mailto:f...@geekplace.eu>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 30.12.22 11:05, Dave Cridland wrote:
> >      > On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 at 09:23, Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:mwi...@gmail.com>
> >      > <mailto:mwi...@gmail.com <mailto:mwi...@gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >      >     On Wed, 21 Dec 2022, 15:05 Florian Schmaus, <f...@geekplace.eu
> >     <mailto:f...@geekplace.eu>
> >      >     <mailto:f...@geekplace.eu <mailto:f...@geekplace.eu>>> wrote:
> >      >         Zash's proposal is, as far as I understand it, just an
> >      >         optimization
> >      >         allowing a sending entity to determine if a stanza will
> >     hit the
> >      >         limit or
> >      >         not, without trying to actually send it.
> >       >
> >      >     It is and it isn't. Right now, if a stanza is over the limit
> then
> >      >     most implementations will close the connection with a stream
> >     error.
> >      >     Not closing the connection is non-trivial for implementations
> if
> >      >     they want to avoid DoS and use a standard parser.
> >      >
> >      > I think this is a good summary of why the <max-bytes/> is needed
> >     - it
> >      > allows a sending implementation to alter its behaviour for the
> >     better.
> >      >
> >      > I don't think there's the same justification for <idle-seconds/>,
> >      > though, is there? What would a sending implementation do?
> >
> >     Uh, there is much value in the information found in <idle-seconds/>.
> >     Simply put, it allows the receiving side to delay liveness checks for
> >     the connection until it has been idle longer than idle-seconds.
> >

> > Really? So as a client, if a server says that connections can be idle
> > for up to 1800s, you'd not bother checking them for a half hour?
>
> I guess this is up to the implementation to decide.

Yes, though I wonder if this falls into the category of a little knowledge.

> > I can see why the *server* might adapt its liveness checks to match the
> > client's, but this XEP doesn't cover that.
>
> I assume the XEP has also s2s connections in mind? Whereas I am mostly
> concerned about c2s connections, especially mobile ones.

I suppose so, but the only case where this makes sense (to me, mind, and
what would I know about S2S on flakey networks?) is where you have a bidi
S2S session and both sides can adapt the liveness checks to be the minimum
of either party, only that's what they'd be anyway in effect. But explicit
> implicit.

Also, if you have '198 in effect, do we care about idle anymore?

Dave.