Thank you for your interest in my campaign for district court judge.  My reasons
for running are very simple.  I feel I have a lot to offer the Ramsey County court
system, and I believe I will be a better judge.  I have pledged not to do any negative
campaigning, and I will stick to that pledge.  I have been approached by many
individuals
and groups who are not happy with the job that Michael Fetsch has been doing.  I
am not aligned or endorsed by any of these, nor do I intend to pursue any type of
agenda on their behalf.  Suffice it to say that there is a lot of negative campaigning
that I could be doing but am choosing not to.  I am running strictly on my merits
to serve, and because I would like to improve on the way things are currently being
done.  I believe I am more approachable, articulate, down-to-earth, courteous,
energetic, kind,
and diplomatic than my opponent, and I will make an excellent judge for Ramsey County.
I hope you will vote for me on November 2nd.

To respond to Joelle, you are correct that I did not give complete answers to some of
the issue-oriented questions presented by Minnesota Lawyer.  This is because Cannon 5
of the Minnesota Code of Judicial Conduct places strict ethical restrictions on what
judicial candidates may say and do.  Candidates are not allowed to make any pleges or
promises of any particular conduct they will undertake when in office.  Candidates are
also discouraged from speaking out on any disputed legal or political issues,
particularly issues that may possibly come before them as judge.  I believe the
reasoning behind these rules is sound and promotes an impartial and independent
judiciary.  Voters should not be choosing candidates based on their views on disputed
issues, because judges have no authority to champion those views when in office.
Judges take an oath to uphold the law and constitution objectively, without regard to
their personal beliefs or convictions.  Speaking out on issues may mislead voters into
believing that a judge will advocate for those positions when in office, which of
course, an ethical judge cannot do.  The idea is that judges should be chosen based
not on their political views, but on their integrity, experience, and committment to
justice.  These principles were discussed at a recent Continuing Legal Education
course I attended on judicial ethics.  I might add that there were very few, if any,
sitting judges in attendance.

I ended up on this forum unintentionally when one of my supporters posted my
information to the list.  However, I welcome the opportunity to participate in this
lively dialogue.  I hope you will read more about me on my website at
www.particiasifferle.org.