Just to toss something else into the pot here,

A very cool feature of the Tiles taglib is that it allows you to define
a template and set of replacement parameters (other templates, string
variables), and then call this definition from a Struts ActionForward.

Using the original Template taglib, you would need to have a seperate
JSP for each of these Definitions, but with Tiles you can manage this
from a single XML document.

This is really quite slick, and a true test of concept for what we are
discussing here, and in the service manager thread, would be if we can
also plug in the Tiles functionality without extended ActionServlet.
Just be extending ActionForward and leverage the service manager (to
load the Tiles definitions - expressed as an XML document of course).

I need to sit down and get this all straight in my mind soon, but just
wanted to put Tiles on the table here.

-- Building Java web applications with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/