I agree that a beta based on the current nightly build is a reasonable
course of action for now.

My real regret is that we did not get a chance to cut a 1.1 release
before the last wave of improvements came done the pipeline. My concern
is that either the release-cycle will now be extended, while we absorb
the new features, or will be rushed, just to move things along.

Of course, Craig's work is consistently excellent, and the likelihood of
any actual problems is slight to none.

My underlying goal is to remind us that Struts is being used by some
very serious teams on some very serious projects. These teams rely on
the "#.#" release stamp to tell them that the codebase is ready for
primetime, and it is our responsibility to ensure that it is.

I would usually expect changes this significant to live in the nightly
build for several months before release. But, keeping the other features
out the hands of production teams is now bordering on cruelty.

So, I guess, it comes down to "in for a penny, in for a pound"; are we
ready to cut a beta?

-Ted.