While I think about it, it may also be desirable in some situations to
keep the session information, even when redirecting to another scheme.
For example, some hybrid technology sites may use centralized session
information and may implement single sign-on between technologies.  I
have been involved in such a project myself, where a Transact server was
sitting as an interim - authorized by a PHP application.  The session id
was carried through from the frontend (php) to the back-frontend
(transact).

I'll just clarify my point below too - in this case, the redirect would
still work, albeit relative, but if we are to strip session information
for schemes, then the session id would be lost in the redirect (without
cookies).

---