Glenn,

<CTG>comments inline </CTG>

At 03:26 PM 6/13/2003, you wrote:
Chris,
Thanks for your response, I find many of your arguments and others
compelling. Please note that I am working with Struts when I had the
opportunity to work with .NET. (Just what does that say about me? :-) )I
agree with the majority of what you wrote and probably didn't fully
understand the parts I might have issue with.

The issue here is the perception by the majority of the business world.

<CTG>I agree, and am dismayed that "the business world has been so artfully misled</CTG>

 I will be using many of the issues raised here to try and to get more
acceptance for Struts/JSP.... If you need any proof of the business
acceptance of .NET just look at the job sites for web developers and see how
many listings are for .NET and how many are for Struts/JSP etc.

<CTG>It's a shame that the advertising for "web developers" can be used as a measure of the need for people who conceive, architect, design, and develop "real" systems. The "Web" component of any business-central system is only the top or outer-most layer.</CTG>

I have used the argument that

"Real productivity lies in the ability to provide rich, complex
functionality that supports real people in getting real things done."

the .NET heads ( is there a term used to describe them? ) come back and say
that it is easier and faster to build in C# then Java. They say that the
tools to work with C# are better ( I don't agree ). In fairness, we should
not assume that .NET developers are going to skip design or write GUIs with
no functionality. We should look at the total cost of development.

<CTG>Agreed. And the total cost of development "BEGINS" with the inital rendering of a UI, and extends forward into time for the whole life of the project/system. The initail ease of rendering the UI is vastly overwhelmed by the lifetime costs of the system.</CTG>

I must take issue with your point that
 "It's this complexity that goes begging when UI construction is the sole
(or even majority) measure of productivity."

The fact is that as of right now you can build and maintain a GUI using .NET
faster and easier (read productivity). You can build rich and complex
functionality using C#. The building the business functionality is basically
on par between Java and C#. Is it not fair to say that the productivity
gained in the GUI construction is a clear win for .NET?

<CTG>Mixing and matching. Is it indeed a fact that building & maintaining a GUI using .NET is faster and easier? How about it Vic? Is architecting a Struts application using Actions as atomic business operations wired together with the I/O via struts-config employing configurable forwards to customize logic flow on a par with .NET? (I don't know, and don't know anyone else who really does, either)</CTG>

If you take two groups one for Java/Struts/et. al. and one for .NET, where
they are equally proficient in their respective technologies, and give them
the same application to build, which will be done first? Bottom line who
gets the job done first? The business world has decided that the .NET team
will be done first. From what I have seen myself I have little reason to
doubt this.

<CTG>When IS "done". First deployment? First adjustment? Last enhancement? Abandonment? I enjoy being pedantic ;-), and have worked on too many business systems to buy into the "done when first seen" line. And is "the business world" the same clods who bet everybody's farm on the webification of everything? My experience with corporate clients is that serious businesses are beginning to invest again in getting their people involved with the technology that will enable them to provide the best value, now and going into the future. And that's Java. Good for now. Good for later. Robust, mature technology. Competition in the marketplace. Assured functionality via widely supported standards without onerous locked in licensing fees.</CTG>

I have made the argument about how much richer Java is as a language, and
what I hear back is that the difference between Java and C# is like the
difference between Coke and Pepsi. Again, perception is reality.

<CTG>So we need to publish, promulgate, provoke, persuade, and otherwise p-verb until we alter the "perception"</CTG>

Good tools do have a direct impact on development schedules. When are we
going to have JSF and the tools to support it? Are the anti-Microsquish
league (IBM, SUN, Oracle, et. al.) going to come up with tools to match
.NET?

<CTG>The only tools lacking in this analysis, it seems, are the GUI tools, and I hope the answer is "yes".</CTG>

Lastly, one of our teams here is writing a .NET front-end talking to Web
Services supplied by a Java J2EE middle tier. The say they are having their
cake and are able to eat it too. The interesting thing is they are
succeeding and are getting their applications to the users faster and
management has noticed.

<CTG>The server side functionality of their app is Java? Yea! That's a GOOD thing.</CTG>

Glenn

<CTG>One last emphasis - Struts is a wonderful piece of work in and of itself. It's as valuable as an example of the type of software that CAN be developed to satisfy a particular set of problems. Completely open. If anyone has a need to build a dynamically configurable application that interacts with external actors via well-defined protocols according to declaratively supplied behaviours they can look to Struts as a mode. Can the same be said for the .NET tools?
And I cannot believe that the .NET solution will be as flexible as Java-based solutions. The motivations of the sponsors are different. MS needs to lock everyone into "the one way" in order to control the environment and maximize revenue; Java's sponsors promote a high level of adherence to standards while adding value through extensions to the standard, customizations, and professional standards.
The MS approach will enable cookie-cutter applications to be stamped out by minimally skilled worker bees. The Java approach will encourage and enable a variety of solutions, architectures, application styles and types to emerge, each suited to distinct problem domains. If I were in "the business world" I wouldn't want to close down my future flexibility and increase my ongoing maintenance costs by choosing a closed fixed-form GUI-building tool solution.
I'm really looking forward to Struts' evolution, and comforted in knowing that I'll be able to see it, understand it, and be able to explain it to the business world.
</CTG>

Chris